Squirrel and Dumplings Finally

January 31, 2013 by Buffy

Spotty and BP with dinner

Spotty and BP with dinner

That’s right, the boys came through with squirrels.  They have had a real brotherly competition going on over these squirrels.  They have spent every afternoon running through the neighborhood with their pellet guns pointed at the tree tops.  (I should mention we have the greatest neighbors.) The boys delivered the meat so I had to hold up my end of the deal to cook them up some squirrel and dumplings.  Let’s just say I don’t think the rest of the family agreed with Farmer Rick’s description of squirrel.  “Once you’ve had squirrel you will throw rocks at chicken.” (He said it with his best all knowing tone).  It was better than I thought it would be, but I would rather debone chicken.  I did enjoy watching JQ try squirrel for the first time.  Of course the boys were proud to be putting dinner on the table.  I will share my dumpling recipe soon.

Spotty's first squirrel

Spotty’s first squirrel

11 thoughts on “Squirrel and Dumplings Finally

1. Littlesundog says:

Hmm, we have lots of squirrels in the woodlands. But alas, we raised an orphaned squirrel about 5 years ago and turned him loose in the canyon below. We do not hunt down there anymore… any squirrel might be our Frosty!!

2. Carole says:

Wow…that’s all I’ve got. Just wow.

3. Grammie Moore says:

I remember when squirrels chews through the ceil to get to the food we had for the chickens. Very destructive little beast.

4. […] Squirrel and Dumplings Finally from Mucking Moms Maybe it’s ’cause I’m such a city girl but this really cracks me up! Anyone else eat squirrel? […]

5. […] Squirrel and Dumplings Finally from Mucking Moms Maybe it’s ’cause I’m such a city girl but this really cracks me up! Anyone else eat squirrel? […]

6. Shannon says:

Oh my god! I came to this post backwards by reading your dumpling recipe first. I thought “chicken or squirrel your choice” was a joke! hahaha

• bhoyt10 says:

Not a joke. But glad you had a laugh. My boys love fried squirrel, but Mawmaw always talked of squirrel and dumplings, so we had to give it a try. We are sticking to chicken and dumplings. The boys can fry their squirrel when JQ and I aren’t home.

• mellchan says:

I thought so too lol.
      But if someone offered me squirrel I would try it 😛