After apologizing to the women who accused him of assault, spanish opera star placido domingo comes under further pressure. Spanish government canceled two planned performances of the 79-year-old at the teatro de la zarzuela in madrid.
This decision was made "due to the seriousness" of the accusations and "out of solidarity with the women affected," the national institute for performing arts and music (INAEM), which operates the zarzuela theater and is under the ministry of culture of the socialist government of prime minister pedro sanchez, announced on wednesday.
"The INAEM and the ministry of culture and sports express their firm support for women and their rejection of any kind of harassment, abusive behavior or oppression," continues in a communique. Domingo was to be released on 14. And 15. May participate in the opera "luisa fernanda" at la zarzuela. The performances were not canceled, however, he said. The 79-year-old sanger is to be replaced.
Domingo had apologized on tuesday to the women who had accused him of assault in the wake of the metoo movement. He takes full responsibility for his actions. An investigation by the american society of musical artists (AGMA) had previously confirmed the accusations made by numerous female singers.
Further engagements of the star are on the agenda. "We are irritated by these new developments and take the issue surrounding placido domingo very seriously," said the press spokesman for the hamburg state opera, michael bellgardt, to the german press agency dpa on wednesday. The state opera wants to keep the planned appearances of the 79-year-old at the end of march for the time being. The latest developments are closely followed and comprehensive information is obtained. "We will also exchange ideas with the other institutions in europe and then go public," said bellgardt. In the framework of the "italian opera weeks" (8. March to 2. April) the hamburg state opera is scheduled to host three performances by placido domingo in giuseppe verdi’s opera "simon boccanegra.
The salzburger festspiele told dpa that there are signed contracts for placido domingo’s engagement in the two concert performances of verdi’s opera "I vespri siciliani" (the sicilian vespers) in august 2020. "It was and is a matter of concern for the festival to treat sanger, who has been charged with misconduct, fairly, i.E. Not to prejudge him."The facts have now changed, however, after domingo admitted that his behavior could have hurt the women concerned. "The salzburg festival intends to first obtain comprehensive information on the progress of the investigations underway in the united states and then announce its decision to the press," the statement from salzburg read.
The bavarian state opera in munich is holding on to domingo’s engagement as nabucco at the 2020 opera festival. "At our house we are not aware of any incidents, there are no concerns on the part of our employees," declared intendant nikolaus bachler. "Mr. Domingo showed remorse for his behavior. Also therefore we see no reason to break the contract."
Opel workers fight for their plant: protest actions
During the morning shift, the machines were at a standstill for about an hour because of an information event, confirmed spokesmen for the plant and the…
Hormann almost there: lander also a candidate for dosb
The way is clear for alfons hormann, head of the german olympic sports federation (dosb), to take the helm of the german olympic sports association…
Rollmann succession in augsburg in the coming weeks
One day after the press release about the separation from rollmann, there was no new official state of affairs at the fubball-bundesligisten, from the…
National biathlon coach honig: “tickling out the winning gene
Tickling out the winning gene again” is what women”s national coach gerald honig wants to do with his top athlete. “now we want to show from competition…